Wednesday 18 July 2012

Ed Sheeran on miscarriage

I've been thinking about the past as well as the future this week, so I suppose it's no surprise my eyes and ears are more open to reminders of loss. I stumbled across this beautiful song from Ed Sheeran - which touchingly describes his experience of a teenage miscarriage.

It's hard for me to listen to this song without shedding a tear or two, as I think he so accurately captures those feelings, hopes and fantasies you have when you first fall pregnant and how difficult it can be to accept that has all gone, often for no tangible reason.

I'm not a particular fan of Ed Sheeran but for me, there's a very honest and truthful resonance in this song, particularly from a young man, that I find refreshing. The music industry seems to detail so many of our life experiences, but I think miscarriage and loss of a child is still something of a taboo subject in music - although I'm hopeful this will begin to change now mega stars like Jay-Z are daring to bare their scars. Full marks Ed.

No comments:

Post a Comment